DNA/Yihi worth it for MTL

Discussion in 'Regulated' started by Polar Girl, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Polar Girl

Polar Girl Member

Everyone says a DNA or Yihi mod is overkill for low watt, MTL vaping. Anthony posted that as recently as a week ago on Reddit.

From my own experience with MTL vaping, I have to disagree with everyone. The Kroma-A I bought with a Zenith tank did much better than the Sigelei MT did with the Zenith and Vapefly Nicolas tanks but much worse than the HCIGAR VT250S.

The MT reads coil resistance way above rated resistance and blows out coils right after installing them regularly seemingly from too much power too quickly. The Kroma-A usually read resistance somewhat above rated but sometimes at and once or twice just below. Coils at least consistently lasted for a half a week or so on the Kroma-A and rarely seemed like I got a dud unlike with the MT. The VT250S has read every coil I put into the Zenith tank somewhat below rated resistance. Each coil has lasted at least a week with the DNA mod.

The vaping is such a slow, steady, smooth vape on it. The Kroma-A seemed a bit erratic but at least it wasn't applying far too much power like the MT does. If anything, slightly too little a majority of the time. The VT250S seems consistently near perfect every time. I don't remember much with the Vivikita Move60 but it seemed just slightly better than the MT.

There does seem to be a very noticeable correlation with how well a mod does TC with how well it does MTL. VT250S (excellent TC mod) > Kroma-A (good TC mod) > MT (bad TC mod). Maybe there isn't much of a difference vaping in watt mode between mods at higher power but there sure does seem to be with low power MTL vaping as counterintuitive as that seems.

Maybe margin of error ranges mean a higher percentage margin of error at lower power like a watt or two or maybe with resistance readings on clearomizer coils needing to be more precise; I just don't know why. I just know that the better a mod does TC, the better it seems to do MTL -- at least with clearomizer coils like Vapefly Nicolas and Innokin Zenith.

Maybe this needs to be tested more thoroughly. Maybe it is just my imagination wanting something better out of better mods but I really don't think so. Any feedback on this would greatly be appreciated.

I'm at the point where I need to buy a backup mod and only want to buy either a DNA or Yihi just to vape nic salt in a clearomizer. I am reluctant to buy even a Vsticking since the SX530 chip is rumored to lack 16 bit resistance sampling like the G Class mods with SX550j chips do.

Please help! Let me know if I am onto something real or about to waste triple figures on confirmation bias.

2. madstabber

madstabber Well-Known Member 1 year member

I have some Smoant mods that I think are very good performers. It’s been awhile since I’ve used a dna and haven’t used a yihi so I can’t compare them side by side but I have zero complaints about performance. I vape in the 40-60 watt range so a medium power. I’m gonna guess that you may be happier with a dna or yihi anyway because it sounds like you want one. So splurge, you deserve it, if it’s keeping you from smoking you’re saving a ton of cash anyway so invest in something nice for yourself. If money’s really tight get a Smoant, it should do the job.

3. Polar Girl

Polar Girl Member

I'm so glad someone is replying to my threads. I thought I was going 0-2 on this site.

The Battlestar was a mod I was going to buy before a DNA mod was gifted to me. Smoant mods seem to be in the same category as Kroma-A: Good but not excellent TC. I would guess that most Smoant mods would narrowly edge out a Kroma-A in TC but nowhere near the class of DNA/Yihi.

I still have that Hcigar VT250S DNA mod and absolutely loving it noticing as big of a difference between it and the Kroma-A as the latter is to mods that cannot effectively do TC at all even in low watt MTL vaping. I was posting about what backup mod I should buy.

If you get another DNA mod or your first Yihi, please long term monitor the difference between it versus your Smoant versus a mod that cannot do TC in your 40-60 watt range power mode vaping similar to what I've noticed over the last year with MTL vaping. I'd love to know if you notice a similar TC capability correlation to power mode vaping quality like I did or not.

madstabber likes this.
  4. madstabber

Yes I’d like to do a side by side comparison because I always hear they are so much better. I’ve used my Smoant’s in TC some and it seemed to work pretty good. No dry hits which is an important factor of tc. I’ve thought about getting a few mods with a yihi chip so if I find one to buy I’ll definitely compare and post. I have a battlestar as a backup after having used it for more then a year and it is an excellent mod. Very happy with its performance and durability, one of the best value mod purchases you can make.

Polar Girl likes this.
  5. Polar Girl

Polar Girl Member

Are you thinking about buying a true Yihi mod or a generic with a Yihi chip like the Vsticking linked below?

https://www.efun.top/vsticking-vk530-200w-tc-box-mod.html

Battlestar, despite it's age, is still an excellent choice for a middle TC mod test like I used Kroma-A for. If you have a newer Smoant so you can feel it is a more honest -- apples to apples comparison -- you can do that to but the Battlestar should be just fine for a middle (TC competent but not elite) mod for this test. You probably have a few crappy @ TC mods lying around but can pick one up for $15 or less if you don't. You just got to get that Yihi!

I'd love to get the results of the non TC differences between the three when you do. I am so curious to know the non-TC performance differences at higher watts in power mode and with rebuildables if you are using them.

6. madstabber

I was looking at this one https://www.directvapor.com/sx-mini-sl-class-100w-sx485j-tc-vape-mod/
    But I can’t buy a new mod right now. My credit card has taken a beating between vape sales and Christmas so I am taking a break from any new purchases. Not to mention I have plenty of mods already.

7. Polar Girl

Polar Girl Member

A true 2x700 battery Yihi mod unlike the GTRS Vboy. Too bad it is only available with a 485 chip unlike the new T class that has a 580j chip. A next generation SL class with a 585j chip has got to be coming soon. Another reason to wait besides money.

rocketyos and madstabber like this.
  8. Nailz

Nailz Well-Known Member 1 year member

I MTL vape at 20 watts, I have about 10 DNA mods and a yihi mod, but I do not do TC, so I have heard a lot of times, then why buy them mods, they are overpowered for what I am vaping at, so everyone who buys a supercar drives them at 200mph?

I bought the DNA's because they are reliable, good customer service from evolv, and I love the way they look.

rocketyos likes this.
  9. Polar Girl

Polar Girl Member

Do you notice a difference MTL vaping @ 20 watts with those mods versus TC competent but not elite mods like many Smoants versus TC incapable mods?

Most people including reviewers do use a sport car analogy.

MTL vaping on a DNA mod most certainly does not feel analogous to using a seven figure hyper car as a daily urban commuter vehicle in stop and go traffic. Even a quarter million dollar, top of the line, sport/luxury Mercedes Benz with automatic transmission doesn't feel like an accuarate analogy although somewhat closer.

I'd have to say it is most like commuting from a rural property with a steep hill, long dirt/gravel road into suburbs where drivers tailgate at high speed into cities with potholed highways and frequent bad weather in a Lincoln Navigator (large luxury SUV) versus a Toyota Avalon (reliable full size sedan) versus a Kia Rio (subcompact -- not a ride anyone would enjoy and better off getting rid of in the likely event of any significant problems).

All three vehicles will do that hypothetical commute and probably for many years to come but there is a big difference between doing it in a Navigator versus an Avalon and just as big of a difference doing it in the latter versus a Rio.

10. madstabber

Efficient battery use would be a big selling point for me personally. I’ve often heard yihi/dna mods are very efficient mods. Do you notice a big difference in battery life between your yihi/dna mods versus your non yihi/dna mods?

Nailz likes this.
  11. Polar Girl

Polar Girl Member

The Kroma-A is a 2100 mAh internal battery so too different to compare. The Seigeli MT is the only other mod I used with my Samsung 30Q batteries I am using in the DNA mod to compare to.

I can say that the battery voltage reading seems far more accurate and consistent on the DNA from personal experience which would extend battery life.

Evolv claims 97% efficiency for 250(not C) chips
    https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna250.pdf

and 98% for 250C
    https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna250color.pdf

The DNA 75 & 75C both have an astonishingly low 85%.

According to Spinfuel, the Yihi mod you want has a 94% efficiency.
    https://spinfuel.com/yihi-sxmini-sl-class-full-review/

If efficiency is everything, get a DNA 250C. If you must have a single battery and that battery must be a 2x700, then the Yihi is the way to go for now since there are no 2x700 battery DNA mods let alone one that uses a 250C chip.

rocketyos, madstabber and Nailz like this.
  12. Nailz

Nailz Well-Known Member 1 year member

They normally very good, but have a lot of different DNA mods, some single 18650, some dual 18650, 26650, probably the one the battery life isn't that great is the 75C, single 18650 with that color screen does go through the battery faster, but I can still get a day at 20 watts.

The yihi is really good for a single 18650 mod, can nearly get 2 days out of it.

rocketyos and madstabber like this.