Five-Star Rating System
Let’s put the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA through our 5-star rating system.
I know a lot of people are going to complain that the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA is tall, and that’s the reason it’s going to get the score it’s going to get. Because a lot of people are going to say that’s really tall for a single coil RDTA, and they’re right. The height doesn’t bother me personally, but I know it’s going to bother a lot of people. So I’m going to rate it at 2.5, just like average as far as the looks go. But in all honesty, I think it’s a sexy-looking tank if you can deal with the height. But I’m kind of going to give it the score I gave it because I know people are definitely going to complain about the height.
BUILDING & WICKING
The Mato is super easy to build and wick. Because the coil is kind of inside the deck, if you don’t have small fingers, you might have to get a tweezer to pull the cotton out, but that’s really no big deal. Like I said, if you can build an RDA or other RDTAs, you’re going to be fine with this one. In the building and wicking department, we’re going to give it a solid 4 stars.
I really like the flavor I get off of this. I’ve got no issues with the flavor at all. It’s really, really smooth. I get a fully saturated flavor. We’re going to give it a solid 4 as well in the performance department. This thing performs exactly like you would expect it to.
I’ve been seeing it for $28-49. There’s kind of a big price disparity on this one. So make sure you definitely shop around. If you score this thing for under 30 bucks, I think you got a good deal. You paid $35, it’s okay too. But if you get this thing for under 30 bucks, it’s actually a good deal because I’ve been seeing a lot of the prices on the higher side. I’m going to give it a 2.5 in the value department.
We’re going to add all these stars up, we’re going to get a total of 13 stars. We’re going to take those 13 stars, we’re going to divide them by 4, and we’re going to get a total score of 3.25. Three and a quarter stars. I consider 2.5 average. This one is definitely above average. However, because of the height, it’s probably not going to be for everyone.
Let’s go over the pros for the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA
- Really Nice Flavor: I get really nice flavor on the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA. You guys know, I love my single coilers. I vaped on this with a 0.22ohm coil on 62W, with some strawberry rice pudding juice. I got really nice, fully saturated flavor. Nice, smooth airflow. I really like the flavor on this. It’s got really good flavor.
- Easy to Build and Wick: The Vandy Vape Mato RDTA is pretty easy to build and wick. It’s really not hard at all. If you can build an RDA, if you’ve built an RDTA in the past, you won’t have any issues building the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA as well.
- Smooth Airflow: It vapes nice and smooth, even if I open it all the way. The Vandy Vape Mato RDTA vapes even smoother when the airflow is open all the way. If you close it down, you kind of get that swooshy sound. But overall, very smooth airflow.
- Machining & Build Quality: I like the machining and the build quality on the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA.
- Nice Drip Tip: The Vandy Vape Mato RDTA has a nice comfortable drip tip.
- Stainless Steel Cables: The Vandy Vape Mato RDTA wicks like a dream with those stainless steel cables we’ve seen before in the Vapefly Brunhilde. They work just as well on this one too.
- Nice Capacity: The Vandy Vape Mato RDTA has a nice capacity.
- Squonkable: The Vandy Vape Mato is squonkable. You can throw this thing on a squonker, you got 5mls in the tank. If you got an 8ml squonking bottle, you can walk out of the house with 13mls. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Let’s go over the cons of the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA
- Sidefill Tank: It’s a personal con, but I just hate those side fill tanks. I freaking hate them. The side fill on the Vandy Vape Mato is actually really good, but I just can’t stand side fill tanks. Most of them are very messy. This one’s one of the more cleaner ways to do it because it’s got that little rubber stopper in there. But I hate side fill tanks so, I got to give it a con.
- Tall: A lot of people are going to say that the Vandy Vape Mato is tall for a single coil RDTA. That’s going to bother some peeps. It doesn’t bother me at all, but I got to chalk it up to a con for the peeps that are going to have a problem with it.
- Tank Section Not Glass: This doesn’t bother too much, but I got to point it out. The tank section on the Vandy Vape Mato is not glass. It’s some sort of plastic. To the people who run a lot of citrus juices, a lot of cinnamon juices, you might have an issue with it. I got to point it out for you. Personally, I don’t run a lot of citrus, I don’t run a lot of cinnamon juices, so it’s no big shakes for me.
But that’s it on the cons, real nitpicky stuff.
What’s up, Insiders! DeucesJack, I’m at Vaping Insider. Today, we’re going to review a tall boy.
I’m talking about the Vandy Vape Mato Single Coil RDTA.
From Top to Bottom
There it is. Check that out.
Kind of sleek looking. Nice 810 drip tip. All my other 810 drip tips fit fine, no issues with that. It’s even got a little texture in it, like a little wave in it that I kind of like. Makes it nice and comfortable.
There’s your airflow. Stoppers on both ends, you can see. Pull the top cap off. It’s not a two piece, it’s one piece right here. Nice finish. I like that gunmetal type of finish.
There is the deck. Now, you can see, you’ve only got two post holes. One on this side, one on that side. Very much looks like a Recurve type of deck. It’s got that honeycomb airflow right there. When I first saw it, I wasn’t worried about it, though, because there’s a lot of space in between this opening and the honeycomb over here. I thought it was going to have that hollow type of airflow, but it doesn’t. Over here, these four slots right there, that’s where we’re going to put our stainless steel cables. I’ll show you how to do that in a second.
On the bottom, you can see, Mato by Vandy Vape. Got a serial number, gold-plated 510, insulator ring around that, stainless steel threading around that. It protrudes enough to work on a mechanical mod.
In order to get to your tank section, you just unscrew it like this. And there’s a little cage around the tank section.
This is not glass. You see the yellow tint? It’s like plastic. And I got to be honest with you, I feel like Vandy Vape really cheaped out by not using glass. First of all, I don’t like the yellow tint. It looks disgusting to me, it looks like it’s dirty. Second of all, what the hell Vandy Vape. I want regular glass. I don’t know how this is going to hold up again cinnamon or citric juices. Not only should have you made this regular glass, but you should have put a spare glass in there as well. Or at the very least, if you’re going to make this urine-looking colored glass, if you’re going to put this in pre-installed, at least give me the option of running a real glass and put a real glass in the box.
Now, as far as the bottom of the deck goes, see those four holes, that’s where your stainless steel cables are going to go.
Over here, you got this little bladder system here. That’s where you’re going to put your needle nose bottle in there and fill it. Not a big fan of side fill. But more importantly, if you swap out the squonk pin, you’re actually going to squonk from over here. I don’t know if you can see it, but there’s a hole over there and when you squonk, it’s going to go up here and it’s going to drop down into the tank.
Now remember, there’s a screw here that you got to take out with a flat head. And then below, you’re going to need a larger flat head to get the actual pin out. And then you’re just going to install the gold-plated squonking pin. You don’t have to put this screw back in. Just make sure you don’t lose it.
What’s In the Box
You get a bunch of stuff with the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA kit.
First thing you get, you get a bag of spare parts. You can see you get a lot of stuff in here. You get 2 allen keys. You get a squonk pin, which by the way, is a two piece squonk pin when you take it out. So make sure you take note of that. You get extra grub screws, some extra gaskets, 510 drip tip adaptor, and some extra o-rings. You also get this pretty neat coil cutting tool, Vandy Vape was nice enough to mark it for you on the seventh spot. You get a triple fused Clapton coil Ni80, ohming out at 0.26, user manual, there are all the different colors it’s available in, QC certificate, and you get the stainless steel braided wires. Assembly required, you actually have to put this atomizer together. I’m really annoyed that these didn’t come pre-installed. They do give you one extra cable and the packaging.
Let’s install the cables. First thing you want to do, pop those cables out. What you want to do first before you install the cable, you want to put the tank section back on, just screw it on.
Screws on rather easily. Once it’s all tightened down, then what you want to do, you want to take your cables and you kind of want to just drop them in there. Just drop them in there.
Very, very, easy. Get them in, drop. See that? Get them in there.
Once you got them all dropped in like that, now you’re going to be ready to build.
Let’s take the coil they gave us and let’s cut it where they tell us to cut it. Now we’re going to find the seventh spot on the coil cutting tool right there. We’re going to turn it over. We’re going to take our flush cutters and we’re just going to cut it right up against that seventh spot. Same thing on this side. And now we should have the perfect length.
Now we’re going to put this on our 521 Tab Plus. And if I didn’t show you before, that’s where your allen screw is.
It’s a 1.5mm allen screw. Just open it up, just like so. Do the same thing on the other side. See it opening up. Get it fully open, then you want to take your coil, and you just simply pop it in there, just like so. Hold your finger on it so it doesn’t move. Give it a nice tightening down, move it to the other side, and there you go. That’s what your coil should look like. Grab your coiling jig, you might want to push and pull it. Get it centered, do whatever you got to do to make sure it’s right.
And that looks just about right.
Now what we’re going to do is we’re going to dry fire it. Right now, we’re ohming out at 0.15, probably going to change. We look like we got some hot spots there. Hold on. Let’s see what it looks like if it’s burning from the inside out.
There we go.
When you wick this, you want to make sure your wicks, you cut them right in between the two o-rings right there.
You just want your wicks to touch those cables. You don’t need to dip them down into the tank. That’s the whole reason for the cables. So what I like to do, I like to run my scissors right in the middle of those two o-rings, and just give it a snip.
Same thing on this side, run your scissors right in the middle, and give it a snip. This side looks a little longer, maybe even I’m out a little bit. But that’s where you want to be, just like that.
Now you take whatever tool you use to tuck your cotton in. And you just get your cotton in there, tuck it in nice and gently. Let it sit on those rods. Same thing on the other side, get the cotton in there and let it sit right on those rods. And there you go.
The juice we’ll be using today is That 1 Vape’s blueberry yogurt.
First thing you want to do is to wet those wicks up, get them nice and saturated. Just get them started, they need a little help. It’s also not a bad idea to give it a test fire, make sure we got vape. We have vape, and that blueberry yogurt smells delicious.
Now we’re going to find the side with that rubber gasket. We’re going to stick our needle-nosed bottle right in there. See that? And we’re going to give it a squeeze. Just on a personal note, I can’t stand these side fill tanks. I just find it just easier if they just would have put a port on the deck, taking some juice. Nice capacity there. So we fill it all the way up. Nice and filled up, maybe juice it again. Just to get it started, and there you go. We got vape. Put that top cap back on, and there it is, all built and wicked, and ready to vape.
Let’s go over some of the specs on the Vandy Vape Mato Single Coil RDTA.
- Dimensions: 24mm diameter, 44.6mm tall, 155mg in weight
- Juice Capacity: 5ml capacity
Be sure to click the link here to join our Facebook group for more exclusive behind the scenes content.
And that’s it on the Vandy Vape Mato RDTA review, Insiders. That’s all I got for you today. You keep living that vape life. We’re out of here. Deuces.
- Really Nice Flavor
- Easy to Build and Wick
- Smooth Airflow
- Machining & Build Quality
- Nice Drip Tip
- Stainless Steel Cables
- Nice Capacity
- Sidefill Tank
- Tank Section Not Glass